Daily we are inundated with bad news from around the world. Technology allows us to recieve news right after it happens and typically the stories at the top of the list are of distasters and tragic events. The most shocking and tragic stories are sensationalized by TV networks to sell advertising because that is what brings in the most viewers and keeps us watching.
To speed the spread of bad news we now have social media. I could go on and on but I think I make my point. Bad news is all around us and if not careful we can find ourselves believing that our world is in its worst state ever. With that said here are a few items that make our lives just a little better compared to the past "when things were so much better."
- Healthcare: Here is just a short random list of what we take for granted; antibiotics, sinus medicine, contact lenses, dental care, immodium(In the early 1900's diarrhea was one of the top three causes of death in the U.S.
- Central Heat and Air. Can you think what life would be with out it now. How about dealing with the stomach flu with no A/C when its 90 degrees in the house.
- Cell phones. Anytime anywhere we know we can get in touch with our loved ones not to mention the ease of managing work and business.
- Modern automobiles: Compare the comfort, reliability of todays cars to those of even back in the 1970's. They are cleaner burning, better gas mileage, and loaded with the latest technologies.
- Air Travel
- Computers, iPads, smart phones
- Music: We listen to music anywhere anytime with all the latest technologies.
- Food: Grocery stores, restaurants of every variety, yes even fast food is getting better.
- GPS: No more unfolding those huge paper maps trying to figure out where you are or how to get somewhere.
- Modern building materials: Yes even asphalt shingles have advanced dramatically over the past two decades.
Progress in the past 50 years has helped us live longer and have the opportunity to live better lives. Yes there are always going to be problems and focusing on problems we have no control over does us no good. Take time to celebrate the good things in life and those that have made a positive impact on you during this Christmas and New Year Holiday Season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing/Business Operations