Is it springtime again? We can tell when spring is near around Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding by the increase in phone calls for roof estimates. Homeowners start spending more time outside as the weather warms up and tend to take notice of the exteriors of their homes including the roof. There may be signs of roof damage that possibly were overlooked the previous summer that may have gotten worse from a cold wet winter not to mention leaves that stuck to the roof making old weathered shingles decay more quickly.
Though the title of the article says 6 signs of roof damage actually a few problems mentioned are not the actual damage, but problems that will lead to further roof damage. In any event the following is a list of things that can cause your roof to deteriorate as well as look unsightly:
1. Missing shingle granules: As shingles age the asphalt begins to harden and the once embedded granules begin to break away. This is part of the normal aging process. The granules job is to protect the shingle from UV light of the sun and the weather. Factors that may speed the granule loss process are hail, being walked-on and excessive weather conditions. Note that it is normal to notice granules around your drip edge or gutters even after installation. If you notice "Bald" shingles, ones that look like it has no granules, than it is time to have your roof inspected to see if it is time for replacement.
2. Damaged Flashing: Flashing that is damaged or improperly installed can lead to leaks in the home, but even properly installed flashing may after years of service begin to leak. When a new roof is installed on a home the roofing contractor will need to re-flash the chimney to prevent leaks.
3. Rusted chimney cap: An old chimney cap just makes a roof look bad and it will cause problems if it has deteriorated and is not functioning properly. A well-designed chimney cap keeps the water out of the chimney and will keep squirrels and birds from entering the chimney and building a nest.
4. Algae growth: Caused by airborne algae deposited on the roof the unsightly appearance may not be an indicator that the roof needs to be replaced, but excessive algae and moss growth (as pictured) may lead to shingle damage and worse, leaks in the home. Lets face it though; a home with black stains from algae, mold or fungus is unsightly. Shingle manufacturers as CertainTeed and Tamko treat their shingles with an Algae resistant agent. Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding offer many styles, grades and colors of shingles and can explain the warranties that come from the manufacturer.
5. Rotten fascia boards: We've all seen how bad rotten wood looks around the roof line of a home as well as the problems it will cause including leaks and additional damage to the structure of the home. If you see rotten fascia boards it's time to call a qualified roofer.
6. Debris build-up: Debris build-up can cause damage to a roof. Left to accumulate leaves and other debris from trees and plants will quickly degradate a roof leading to leaks and or structural damage of the roof.
If you have noticed any of the problems mentioned with your roof it may be time to have an experienced roofing contractor like Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding come out and take a look.
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing and Business Operations