If you are a homeowner and are thinking of updating the exterior of your home or maybe looking to purchase a home and there are color and style choices to be made this article is for you. When the updates include either a new roof, windows, siding or any combination of the three you can opt to stick with the current look or you can explore your creative side. Have you considered changing the style of siding, roofing shingles or windows as well as color changes? Here is where a computer, tablet or even a smartphone can help.
Technology now makes decision making easier for home improvement projects with visualization tools. A home visualizer will show you what a new roof, windows or siding will look like on your home or a similarly designed home including various styles and colors.
Home visualizers have been around a while and have improved over the past few years and are now available online for free or through app downloads for tablets and smartphones so you don't have to purchase software. The process of changing the colors and styles through using technology can be a lot of fun and also shared with family members or friends. To help you get started we suggest trying any or all of the three sites listed below by clicking on the link.
CertainTeed: Visualizer includes roofs, siding and more. Pick from a library of homes or you can upload an image of your own home to customize the look. An iPad app is also available to download by clicking here. Note that all features may not be available in the app.
Tamko - Visualizer includes roofs, siding as well as other upgrades. You can use the stock homes provided or upload a photo of your home as you can with CertainTeed. iPad users can download the Tamko app here.
Norandex - Visualizer includes windows, roofs, siding and more. Visualize one of many stock homes. You can upload a picture of your home, but Norandex will have to visualize it for you, though at no charge.
To sum up, why not at least take a look at other styles and colors for your home. The cost is free other than your time and you might have fun during the process. Also, you're going to have to live with a home-improvement for a few years so considering an updated look by using some of todays technology is time well spent. If you have any questions about using the visualizing tools give us a call and we will be glad to help. Also, save your results and share them with us when you get ready for an estimate on your home-improvement. Leave a comment and let us know how it worked or if you have suggestions for other homeowners using a visualizer.
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing and Business Ops
It has come to our attention recently that Window World is advertising "Home of the Original $189 Replacement Window" on television in the South Georgia area. Though it is not our normal policy to call out competitors on shady business practices we do feel an obligation to consumers of "Bait and Switch" tactics. Virginia's Super Window Company explains, "what we have found here the $189 price is only the window set into the opening. It does not include the vinyl trim wrap that covers the gaps around the window to keep the wind and rain from coming in around the window. Window World charges extra for that trim, even though you must have it for a complete window installation.
The $189 price does not include the Energy Star glass that saves you money on your heating and cooling bills. Window World charges extra for that glass, even though you must have that glass to have an energy- efficient window.
The $189 price does not include removing the old storm windows so the old windows can be removed, they will charge you extra for that. They will even charge extra to haul away the old windows and the trash.
By the time they charge you for everything that you must have to get a complete window installation, the real price is almost $400! And that is for their cheapest window!" Click here to see their comparison and see for yourself how Window World's claim of a $189 window is misleading advertising.
There are many claims by Window World customers running into the "Bait and Switch" tactic on the internet. Here is a link to at least 39 reviews and complaints to back up our claim of their misleading customers. Additionally, the BBB of Dallas challenged Window World's $189 advertising while stating "An advertisement as a whole may be misleading although every sentence separately considered is literally true. Misrepresentation may result not only from direct statements but by omitting or obscuring a material fact." The full article can be read here.
Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding could advertise our windows at the same price of $189 like Window World or even lower, but that is not how we do business. It is just not right. We recommend to all our customers to compare prices, check references, make sure the contractor they interview is licensed and insured and to never pay for services until the job is complete.
Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding
Today's vinyl siding gives homeowners a beautiful option to wood with a wide range of colors and styles and will last many years with minimal upkeep. Durability and low maintenance are the key reasons our customers choose vinyl over wood siding. Installed correctly vinyl is less like likely than wood to trap moisture, says Tom Silva in an article on This Old House website. This reduces the chance of mold or rot to form underneath siding.
Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding is a certified and approved installer of Norandex vinyl siding offering the best available warranties in the industry. Watch the short video below from one of our satisfied customers and then schedule a free estimate by filling out the form on this page.
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing & Business Operations
Is it springtime again? We can tell when spring is near around Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding by the increase in phone calls for roof estimates. Homeowners start spending more time outside as the weather warms up and tend to take notice of the exteriors of their homes including the roof. There may be signs of roof damage that possibly were overlooked the previous summer that may have gotten worse from a cold wet winter not to mention leaves that stuck to the roof making old weathered shingles decay more quickly.
Though the title of the article says 6 signs of roof damage actually a few problems mentioned are not the actual damage, but problems that will lead to further roof damage. In any event the following is a list of things that can cause your roof to deteriorate as well as look unsightly:
1. Missing shingle granules: As shingles age the asphalt begins to harden and the once embedded granules begin to break away. This is part of the normal aging process. The granules job is to protect the shingle from UV light of the sun and the weather. Factors that may speed the granule loss process are hail, being walked-on and excessive weather conditions. Note that it is normal to notice granules around your drip edge or gutters even after installation. If you notice "Bald" shingles, ones that look like it has no granules, than it is time to have your roof inspected to see if it is time for replacement.
2. Damaged Flashing: Flashing that is damaged or improperly installed can lead to leaks in the home, but even properly installed flashing may after years of service begin to leak. When a new roof is installed on a home the roofing contractor will need to re-flash the chimney to prevent leaks.
3. Rusted chimney cap: An old chimney cap just makes a roof look bad and it will cause problems if it has deteriorated and is not functioning properly. A well-designed chimney cap keeps the water out of the chimney and will keep squirrels and birds from entering the chimney and building a nest.
4. Algae growth: Caused by airborne algae deposited on the roof the unsightly appearance may not be an indicator that the roof needs to be replaced, but excessive algae and moss growth (as pictured) may lead to shingle damage and worse, leaks in the home. Lets face it though; a home with black stains from algae, mold or fungus is unsightly. Shingle manufacturers as CertainTeed and Tamko treat their shingles with an Algae resistant agent. Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding offer many styles, grades and colors of shingles and can explain the warranties that come from the manufacturer.
5. Rotten fascia boards: We've all seen how bad rotten wood looks around the roof line of a home as well as the problems it will cause including leaks and additional damage to the structure of the home. If you see rotten fascia boards it's time to call a qualified roofer.
6. Debris build-up: Debris build-up can cause damage to a roof. Left to accumulate leaves and other debris from trees and plants will quickly degradate a roof leading to leaks and or structural damage of the roof.
If you have noticed any of the problems mentioned with your roof it may be time to have an experienced roofing contractor like Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding come out and take a look.
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing and Business Operations
Don't be mislead by Roofing contractors that say they have workers compensation insurance and general liability but can't provide a copy OR the policy is in someone else's name. Drawdy Roofing & Vinyl Siding provides a copy of both with the estimate.
To schedule a free estimate for a new roof, replacement windows, vinyl siding or a patio addition call us at 229-432-0317 or fill out the estimate request form on our website at www.drawdyroofing.com.
Vince Dettore, VP of Marketing and Business Ops